Truck accidents are extraordinarily dangerous events, with around 5,000 people dying every year across the United States as a result. Part of this comes from the danger of the impact, but there are also other factors that need to be considered, which make truck accidents more dangerous than even other types of motor vehicle accidents. Here are five major ways that truck accidents can cause serious injuries:
- Broken bones and torn muscles
- One of the most obvious ways that truck accidents can hurt people is through major harm to a person’s bones and muscles. These can range from simple sprains and minor fractures, to full breaks and torn muscles and ligaments. Even minor injuries can take weeks to heal, and more severe breaks and tears may require surgery to repair. In some cases, these injuries can leave someone with long-term impairment, even after they heal.
- Burns and smoke inhalation
- While the initial impact from a truck accident is dangerous, so too is the risk of harm if the gasoline from the truck or other vehicles catches fire. If a vehicle catches on fire, someone may become trapped in a vehicle and suffer significant burns or smoke inhalation. These injuries are not only painful and potentially life-threatening, but they can also be disfiguring, requiring skin grafts or other surgical measures to repair.
- Exposure to dangerous chemicals
- Gasoline is not necessarily the only dangerous cargo on board a truck. Many trucks carry large quantities of caustic, flammable, or toxic chemicals, which someone may be exposed to during truck accidents. This means that, in addition to the harm caused by the accident itself, a surprising number of truck accident victims must be treated for toxic exposure, with all the potential dangers that entails.
- Internal organ damage
- Even in cases where a person seems fine on the surface, victims of truck accidents may suffer from internal organ damage. These types of injuries are often not obvious without medical examination, leading to internal bleeding and other types of potentially dangerous conditions. Internal organ damage often requires surgical intervention to repair, and can result in prolonged hospital stays for anyone who suffers them.
- Traumatic brain injuries (TBIs)
- Finally, truck accidents can carry a high risk of traumatic brain injuries, also known as TBIs. These types of injuries are especially dangerous because they can easily evade notice without careful medical examination. All too often, people will avoid medical attention because they feel fine, only to discover they have a TBI months or years later. Because of how much time has elapsed, though, it can be difficult for them to seek compensation for the harm they suffered. That is why, if you have been involved in a truck accident, you should see a doctor immediately, and speak with a lawyer on your possible legal options.
If you or a loved one have been injured due to someone else’s negligence, you should seek out the personal injury lawyers at Zlotolow & Associates. Our seasoned New York personal injury attorneys bring more than two decades of trial experience to your case. We serve all five boroughs of New York City, as well as Nassau and Suffolk County. Our aggressive personal injury attorneys always demand maximum compensation. We have helped thousands of clients recover through settlements and courtroom verdicts. To schedule a consultation, you can call us at 866-800-0092, or you can visit our contact page.