The time after getting into an auto accident can be extremely distressing, even if you walked away from it seemingly fine. Unfortunately, there are a number of ways you can potentially endanger yourself and make it harder for you to obtain compensation for any harm that you or your loved ones have suffered. Here are five common mistakes people make after they get into an auto accident:
- Not getting contact information from witnesses
- While almost everyone knows it is important to get contact information and insurance details from other drivers involved in an auto accident, they all too often forget to get contact information from other witnesses. This includes other passengers in other vehicles involved in the accident, as well as any onlookers or people who may have stopped to help. These witnesses may provide crucial testimony that may be critical to helping you make your case.
- Not seeing a doctor
- Many people simply choose not to see a doctor after an auto accident, especially when they feel physically fine. Unfortunately, this is a serious mistake, as not every injury is immediately obvious, and may not become apparent until days or weeks later. In addition to delaying potentially critical treatment for hidden injuries, it can also make it harder for you to prove your case.
- Failing to file an insurance claim
- Legally, you have a limited time window in which to file a claim for an auto accident. The longer you wait to file a claim, the more evidence can fade away, and the harder it can be to obtain compensation. That is why you should make sure to file an insurance claim as soon as possible, to avoid missing out on any money you would be normally entitled to.
- Agreeing to the first offer you get from insurance
- That said, as soon as you get into an auto accident, you will likely be hounded by an insurance company looking to get you to accept a settlement as soon as possible. Many people make the mistake of assuming this first offer is all they can get, but in reality this is just an initial offer, and usually a very low-balled one at that. If you wait to negotiate for a better settlement, you can potentially get significantly more in compensation than you would if you just took the first deal.
- Not hiring a lawyer
- You have enough to worry about after an auto accident, without needing to concern yourself with legal issues. That is why you should contact a lawyer with experience handling personal injury cases, who can negotiate on your behalf and help you explore all your legal options. The sooner you contact an attorney, the sooner they can get to work on your case.
If you or a loved one have been injured due to someone else’s negligence, you should seek out the personal injury lawyers at Zlotolow & Associates. Our seasoned New York personal injury attorneys bring more than two decades of trial experience to your case. We serve all five boroughs of New York City, as well as Nassau and Suffolk County. Our aggressive personal injury attorneys always demand maximum compensation. We have helped thousands of clients recover through settlements and courtroom verdicts. To schedule a consultation, you can call us at 866-800-0092, or you can visit our contact page.