Victims of pedestrian accidents in New York City usually have a long road to recovery ahead of them, and in the worst-case scenarios, their families are left to cope with unbearable loss. Drivers and others whose negligent actions cause serious crashes should be held responsible for the damage they have done.
The Manhattan pedestrian accident attorneys at Zlotolow & Associates have more than 20 years of experience successfully securing full compensation for individuals and families who have unjustly suffered due to a crash. Our team provides dedicated and compassionate legal assistance, with the goal of relieving our clients of any financial burden caused by the accident.
If you or a family member has been hit by a motor vehicle while crossing a street or walking on a sidewalk in Manhattan, contact us now for a free legal consultation. We will investigate your accident and injuries on a contingency-fee basis and only charge for our services if and when we recover compensation for you.
How Our Manhattan Pedestrian Accident Attorneys Fight for You
After any crash, it is crucial that we launch an investigation as soon as possible. When you enlist the help of our Manhattan pedestrian accident lawyers, you can expect that we will work to:
- Quickly gather evidence of your pedestrian accident before it is destroyed or otherwise lost
- Investigate to identify all potentially liable parties in your accident and insurance coverage applicable to your losses
- Review your medical records, including billings up to now and prognosis for recovery or future medical needs
- Calculate other costs to you, in particular present and future income losses, which are based in part on the extent of medical recovery
- Help you document your personal pain and suffering so it can be accounted for in our demand for compensation
- File insurance claims and/or personal injury lawsuits to seek full compensation for your losses
Our pedestrian accident lawyers in Manhattan are aggressive negotiators and skilled trial attorneys. We can start you toward financial recovery from your accident with a free, no-obligation legal consultation.
Contact us today to learn how we can help you and your family.
Start as Soon as Possible on Your Manhattan Pedestrian Accident Claim
When you work with our Manhattan personal injury attorneys, our team will leave no stone unturned in our search for evidence to build a strong claim. This includes:
- Statements from you, the driver, and other witnesses. Memories change and fade. It’s best to get even sympathetic witnesses on the record quickly.
- Surveillance video. Footage of anything that goes on in Manhattan and other areas of NYC is increasingly available but is soon recorded over. We need to search out potential depictions of your accident while we can.
- Law enforcement accident report. This may show the charges against the driver and the officer’s impression of the scene.
- The driver’s record. Prior violations, accidents, license suspensions, etc., indicate a historically negligent driver.
- Accident scene evidence. Information at the scene of your accident ─ like skid marks or lack thereof, drag marks, traffic controls, visibility issues, etc. ─ can help explain what happened and why.
- Vehicle damage. Dents, broken glass, cracked paint, etc., help to establish the type of impact you suffered and support the seriousness of your injuries.
- Medical records. The official description of the extent of your injuries helps to indicate, not only what you have been put through, but the driver’s speed and vehicle angle when you were hit.
- Personal property. Damage to clothing, accessories, and/or personal belongings, including car paint and other debris embedded in items, further demonstrates the impact of the vehicle hitting you (primary impact) and you falling (secondary impact). The cost of repairing or replacing damaged property will also be part of your claim.
- Driver’s cellphone records. Activity like texting or taking a call at the time of the crash indicates distracted driving, a common cause of all types of car accidents.
- Driver’s social media accounts. People responsible for accidents may make incriminating statements on Facebook, Twitter, and in other social media.
We will work with you to help you document your costs and losses, including records of the pain and suffering your injuries have caused you. This is evidence that can strengthen your claim for “non-economic” damages (compensation).
Our NYC pedestrian accident lawyers will also keep you up to date and answer any questions about your claim. However, we want to allow you to focus on recovery and your life ahead, instead of worrying about your legal claim.
Demanding Compensation After a Pedestrian Accident in Manhattan
We will investigate your accident to identify who should be held responsible for your injuries, as well as all of your costs and losses. Then we will file all possible insurance claims for full compensation to you, and aggressively press insurers to do the right thing. This includes demanding compensation for:
- Medical expenses
- Lost income, including unrealized future earnings
- Personal property damage
- Pain and suffering damages
- Punitive damages when evidence shows the at-fault party acted with egregious behavior
- Funeral and burial expenses in cases involving wrongful death
You should not face debt from an accident someone else has caused. We will document what has happened to you and aggressively seek every bit of compensation available to you under the law.
Additionally, you should not deal with insurers or anyone who contacts you about your accident and injuries. By signing statements or otherwise cooperating with insurance company representatives, you could unwittingly implicate yourself or give up rights to compensation that you deserve.
Serious Injuries Among Pedestrian Accident Victims
A pedestrian hit by any kind of motor vehicle is likely to be seriously hurt, and it is common for pedestrian accident injuries to prove fatal. Some of the most common injuries we see when assisting pedestrians hit by a motor vehicles in Manhattan include:
- Traumatic brain injuries (TBI)
- Head and neck injuries
- Spinal cord injuries (SCI), including paralysis
- Back injuries (crushed vertebrae, sprains, and strains)
- Internal organ injuries
- Complex and compound fractures (broken bones)
The medical bills from treatment for any one of these types of injuries can cost thousands of dollars. In cases of disabling injury, the victim will require medical treatment and personal care for years, or perhaps the rest of his or her life. Medical costs may include delayed surgery or other treatment, ongoing medication and therapy, assistive or adaptive equipment, or even renovations to the injured person’s home. In a pedestrian fatality, the victim’s death may happen any time after medical care has begun, saddling the family with medical expenses on top of their grief.
Unfortunately, if there is any cause to dispute a claim, insurers will try to avoid paying. In a pedestrian accident, it is often easy to point fingers and blame the victim. Insurers who actually agree to pay claims instead of denying them typically offer far less than a seriously injured pedestrian deserves.
The experienced Manhattan pedestrian accident lawyers at Zlotolow & Associates are here to fight for your best interest. Schedule a free consultation now to learn about your legal rights.
Contact Our Manhattan Pedestrian Accident Attorneys Today
At Zlotolow & Associates, our dedicated injury attorneys will demand maximum compensation for your medical bills, lost income, pain, suffering, and more after a pedestrian accident. Call us or fill out our online form now to learn how our Manhattan personal injury lawyers can help you and your family during this difficult time.