If you get into a rear-end auto accident, you may try to dismiss your fears and pretend everything is fine with your condition. However, you should not take signs of a serious injury lightly. Instead, you should seek medical attention right away and meet with an experienced New York City car accident lawyer to learn about your right to pursue just compensation.
Get in touch with Zlotolow & Associates, P.C., today. For more than two decades, we have helped injured people throughout New York. We will work fast to protect your rights, gather evidence and pursue maximum compensation for you. With offices in Manhattan and Sayville, we can discuss your case today. Call or reach us online for a free consultation.
Common Causes of Rear-End Crashes in New York
The driver in the rear typically causes a rear-end collision. In most cases, the driver fails to keep a safe distance from the driver in the front, or “tailgates” the car. Collisions occur when the front driver must stop at a stop sign or traffic light, or when the driver slows down to make a turn. If the rear driver has followed too closely, the driver may have no way to avoid a collision.
Rear-end crashes also occur where the rear driver:
- Speeds and leaves little to no time and distance to brake on time
- Drives while distracted (such as texting or talking on a phone)
- Drives under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs
- Drives while fatigued or falling asleep at the wheel
- Operates a car with defective equipment such as faulty brakes.
Don’t be fooled, though. The lead driver can also be to blame for the crash. For example, the driver in front can cause an accident when the driver:
- Fails to use a signal to make lane changes or turns
- Suddenly darts or dodges
- Slams on the brakes or unexpectedly slows down
- Drives with broken tail lights.
In a complex case such as a chain reaction crash, more than one person may be at fault for your injuries. Your case could require bringing claims against several parties. A skilled and experienced car accident lawyer at Zlotolow & Associates will get to work right away on your case, determine how your crash happened and identify everyone who should be held responsible.
Our representation of you will be a true team effort. Our office has many experienced staff members, from paralegals to investigators. We will all be committed to pursuing maximum compensation for your injuries.
Common Injuries in NYC Rear-End Collisions
A wide range of injuries can occur in rear-end accidents. It does not matter whether the crash occurred at a low speed. Some of the most common types of injuries that our law firm has seen among victims of these crashes are:
- Whiplash – This is one of the most widely misunderstood injuries. It occurs when the head and neck jerk back and forth in a sudden, whip-like motion in a rear-end crash. Tissues in the neck hyperextend, which can create a lot of pain and soreness and greatly limit a person’s range of motion in the neck. Many victims suffer from extreme difficulty with turning their heads, bending down, doing daily chores, sleeping and engaging in other activities. The symptoms can last weeks to months. They may lead to debilitating headaches. Whiplash is a serious injury: Don’t let the insurance company tell you it isn’t.
- Head and brain injuries – When a person is struck from behind in a car accident, the person’s head can strike interior parts of the vehicle like the dash, steering wheel or side of the door or window. The harm can range from minor discomfort to more serious injuries such as traumatic brain injury, skull fracture or bleeding within the skull.
- Broken bones – A fracture can put a person out of work for several weeks or months. Even seemingly small fractures can lead to long-term complications.
- Muscle or ligament injuries – Insurance companies often try to treat so-called “soft-tissue” injuries as minor injuries. However, painful ligament or tendon injuries can require complex surgeries to repair. Muscle pains and disc injuries are also very common in rear-end collisions.
- Scarring and disfigurement – If a person slams into the dash or steering wheel or suffers a severe cut, it can lead to a permanent scar.
How Can a Lawyer Help After a Rear-End Collision in New York City?
Your attorney from Zlotolow & Associates will carefully investigate your case to determine all of your possible options. For instance, you may be able to go beyond personal injury protection (PIP) benefits and pursue compensation through the at-fault driver’s liability insurance. We can demand a settlement from the other driver’s insurance company. If necessary, we file a lawsuit and take your case to trial. Our attorneys know how to get results for our clients.
We will never leave you in the dark about the status of your case. We will always be available to answer your questions and talk about the progress of your claim.
Additionally, our office routinely helps clients with their property damage claims. After all, if you have no vehicle, it can be difficult to move on with your life or to get to doctor’s appointments. We take pride in the exceptional service that we provide to each and every one of our clients.
Our NYC Rear-End Collision Attorneys Will Go to Work for You Today
For more than two decades, the attorneys of Zlotolow & Associates have fought for injured New Yorkers. Our aggressive trial lawyers will not settle your case for less than it is worth just so we can quickly move on to the next client. We will fight for maximum compensation for you.
Additionally, our law firm will not charge you anything to get started on your case. We will collect legal fees only if and when we recover compensation for you. Contact us now to schedule your confidential free consultation through our offices in Manhattan or Sayville.