If you have been involved in a car accident of any type, you may be shocked and concerned about what to do. Fortunately, there are a few important steps you can take to protect yourself, and give yourself the best possible chances in any legal proceedings related to your accident. Here are five things you should do after any car accident:
- Take pictures of the accident
- If you are able, you should always make sure to take pictures of the accident right after it happens. In the old days, people kept disposable cameras in their cars for this purpose, but a cell phone camera works just fine as well. This is to create a contemporary record of the accident which you can then use to make your claim or seek compensation.
- Obtain contact information from any witnesses
- While most people know to obtain insurance and contact information from any other drivers involved in the accident, they sometimes forget to do the same for any uninvolved witnesses. This is crucial because witness testimony helps to provide an outside perspective on the accident, which can help to prove your case. This, in turn, can help you to obtain a bigger settlement, and improve your odds at victory if you go to trial.
- File an insurance claim
- Filing an insurance claim after a car accident is an important part of the legal process, and you should do so as soon as reasonably possible. This is because it establishes the basic facts of your case and begins the process of getting you compensation for your accident. If you delay in filing a claim without good reason, meanwhile, it could negatively impact your case.
- Get a medical examination
- Obviously, if you have been seriously injured in a car accident, you probably are already getting medical attention at a hospital or other emergency care facility. However, even if you do not think you have been seriously injured, you should still see a doctor as soon as possible. They can perform a medical examination on you to determine if you have any undetected injuries, which can help you to obtain compensation for those injuries later.
- Hire a lawyer
- Finally, you should never try to handle a car accident yourself. These are serious and complicated legal matters, and you are already dealing with enough problems after your accident. A personal injury lawyer with experience handling car accidents can negotiate with your insurer, help you collect evidence, and ultimately get you the compensation you deserve.
If you or a loved one have been injured due to someone else’s negligence, you should seek out the personal injury lawyers at Zlotolow & Associates. Our seasoned New York personal injury attorneys bring more than two decades of trial experience to your case. We serve all five boroughs of New York City, as well as Nassau and Suffolk County. Our aggressive personal injury attorneys always demand maximum compensation. We have helped thousands of clients recover through settlements and courtroom verdicts.