Get Your Free Consultation
Few accidents are more devastating than those involving pedestrians. If you were hurt as a pedestrian due to the careless actions of a motorist, our legal team is here to help. Contact a seasoned New York pedestrian accident lawyer from Zlotolow & Associates today to learn more about how we can help you fight for the maximum compensation on your behalf.
How Can a Pedestrian Accident Lawyer Help Me?
If an accident has left you or a loved one badly injured, our attorneys and skilled legal team will work quickly to gather evidence and establish who is responsible for your accident. Clients count on our dedicated team to:
- Gather statements from the driver and any witnesses we can identify
- Obtain any video camera footage of the accident
- Collect evidence from law enforcement accident reports, which may indicate a charge against the driver
- Demand driver cellphone records, which may indicate activity at the time of the crash, i.e., distracted driving
- Identify all possible sources of compensation
- Work with victims to add up all costs and losses related to the accident, as well as project further losses
- Consult with medical and financial experts to develop detailed reports that substantiate the claim for compensation
- Obtain the legal representation that you deserve. Contact our personal injury attorneys to set up a free consultation.
You should never sign anything or accept any payment from an insurance company without speaking to an experienced New York auto accident lawyer. Insurers work to settle claims quickly and for as little as possible. Once they have a signature on a settlement offer, they can close the case and move on.
Common Causes of Pedestrian Accidents in NYC
Pedestrian accident statistics show that most pedestrians are hit and injured by drivers who make errors or are negligent. The most common causes of pedestrian accidents are:
- Distracted driving: Texting and other uses of smartphones and other personal electronic devices in recent years have made the existing problem of distracted driving worse. Eating and drinking, talking to passengers, and other activities are also forms of distracted driving. A distracted driver will get into an accident quicker in a crowded urban area like NYC. More than one-third of pedestrian accidents are caused by distracted driving, according to the NYC Department of Transportation.
- Failure to yield: Many accidents occur when a driver fails to yield and hits a pedestrian who was crossing at an intersection with the light and in a crosswalk, or at an intersection with a stop sign. Nearly all failure-to-yield pedestrian accidents happen at intersections that have crossing signals, according to the NYC DOT.
- Left-hand turns: When drivers turn to the left, their vehicle’s A-pillar support between the windshield and side window partially blocks their line of sight. This makes it more likely they won’t see a pedestrian, which makes left-hand turns more dangerous. The NYC DOT indicates pedestrian accidents happen more often in left-hand turns by a margin of 3 to 1.
- Speeding: The higher a vehicle’s speed, the more likely it is the driver will be unable to stop in time to avoid hitting a pedestrian. Add slippery pavement (due to rain, snow, etc.) and/or limited sight distance (particularly on city streets), and the chance for an accident to happen increases. Higher speeds also exponentially increase the force of impact in a pedestrian accident and the seriousness of injuries.
- Drunk or impaired driving: Accidents involving drunk or impaired drivers are more than twice as likely to result in a fatality, statistics show.
Fulfilling the Burden of Proof
As long as you and your pedestrian accident lawyer can gather and present sufficient evidence to prove another party is directly responsible for your accident and injuries, you should receive financial compensation. This compensation can help you deal with the following:
- Economic damages, such as lost wages or the cost of medical bills, and more.
- Non-economic damages, such as pain and suffering, loss of enjoyment of life, emotional trauma, and more.
Contact a Pedestrian Accident Lawyer Today
The legal team at Zlotolow & Associates will investigate your accident to identify all of your costs and losses so we can aggressively negotiate for maximum compensation. We prepare solid legal cases and smart strategies that allow us to negotiate from a position of strength. And we will never recommend that you accept less than you deserve. Visit our contact page for a free consultation. We proudly serve clients in the Bronx, Brooklyn, Manhattan, Queens, Long Island, and all of New York State.