If you are injured on someone else’s property due to their neglect, they should be held responsible. This is when you file a premises liability claim, but you should remember that you do not have unlimited time to begin the legal process here. You should talk to a New York slip and fall lawyer and start pursuing a case as soon as you can.

wet floor sign

How Long Do I Have to File a Premises Liability Case?

New York gives you three years to begin pursuing damages from the date of the injury. This seems like a generous amount of time, but you should not delay if you plan to file a personal injury case. The earlier you act, the earlier you can receive compensation.

It is also in your interest to act quickly. Time can pass by fast when you are trying to recover from injuries and get back to your normal life, so you do not want to miss your chance to pursue damages. Additionally, acting quickly can also make it easier for your lawyer to start building a case.

What if the Defendant is Part of the Government?

In this kind of scenario, you have even less time to start pursuing damages. If you were harmed due to the action of a city, state, or county entity or organization, you have just 90 days to inform them that you are making a claim against them. Then you usually have one year to begin the legal process.

How Can a Premises Liability Lawyer Help Me?

It can be difficult to prove someone else’s negligence by yourself. A premises liability attorney can help you build a case, one that can even succeed in court if needed, and hold any liable parties accountable for their negligence. Your lawyer can:

  • Talk to witnesses
  • Gather evidence
  • Fight for fair compensation
  • Prepare you for depositions and testimony
  • Defend you from accusations of wrongdoing
  • Communicate on your behalf
  • Keep you updated on your case

We have experience in all kinds of premises liability cases and we always fight for the best possible outcome for our clients.

What Can Compensation from a Premises Liability Case Cover?

Your compensation from a case like this is meant to cover all expenses that have arisen due to your injury. It is also meant to make amends for any mental trauma and anguish experienced. Fair compensation should make up for:

  • Medical bills
  • Lost wages
  • Lost earning potential
  • Loss of enjoyment
  • Pain and suffering

If a compensation offer does not address the mental and physical pain you and your family have gone through, a lawyer can help you fight for a better one.

Schedule Your Free Consultation

If you want to learn more about your legal options, you should act quickly. Contact Zlotolow & Associates and schedule a free case consultation. We can tell you more about the potential value of your case and what we can do to assist you and your family in this trying time.