Memorial Day weekend can be the most dangerous time to hit the road each year. According to estimates from the National Safety Council, 469 people could pass away on United States roads during this long weekend this year. If you get injured in a Memorial Day accident and you believe that someone else was responsible for the harm you suffered, then you may want to pursue compensation. A New York car accident lawyer from our firm can help you.
Is Memorial Day a Dangerous Day to Drive?
This holiday and its long weekend are dangerous for a few reasons. Memorial Day means that:
- There are more people on the road
- People can get aggressive, speeding and ignoring traffic signals
- Some people drink during a holiday party and drive under the influence
- Drivers get drowsy behind the wheel when traveling long distances for a holiday road trip
All of these factors combine to make the road a more dangerous place on Memorial Day.
What Can I Do If I Was Injured in an Accident on Memorial Day?
If you do get injured in an accident on Memorial Day, you may be entitled to compensation. If another driver was responsible for your accident and your injuries, you should sue for damages. You can potentially secure a settlement that compensates you for:
- Medical bills and the cost of your future care
- Lost wages
- A loss of earning potential
- A loss of enjoyment, if your injuries prevent you from doing something you once loved
- Trauma and mental anguish
- Property damage, like the cost of repairing or replacing your vehicle
If someone acted irresponsibly and caused you harm, they need to be held accountable.
Can I Pursue Wrongful Death Damages After a Car Accident?
If you lost a loved one in a car accident on Memorial Day, you may be able to pursue wrongful death damages. These are meant to make up for the direct economic costs of losing a loved one and the noneconomic costs, like your pain and suffering. For example, a settlement in a wrongful death case could help pay for a deceased loved one’s medical care, funeral costs, and the loss of companionship you and other family members are experiencing as a result of their death.
How Can an Attorney Help Me?
When you decide to pursue compensation, you should seriously consider hiring an attorney. An effective car accident lawyer from our firm can:
- Gather the evidence needed to make your case
- Talk to experts, like accident reconstruction specialists
- Calculate fair compensation
- Handle all communications with other involved parties for you
- Defend you from any accusations of wrongdoing
You can focus on your recovery and your family. Let us do the legwork and help you fight for the compensation that you deserve.
Schedule A Consultation
If you are ready to pursue compensation for your injuries and what you have experienced, let us help. Contact the team at Zlotolow & Associates and schedule your free consultation. We can tell you more about your legal options.